Shower Skin Damage? Last month, Dr. Palm answered some must-know skincare questions for Shape.com talking specifically about how seemingly-harmless shower routines could be damaging your skin. She breaks it all down with what you could be doing wrong, why it’s damaging and how to fix it!
Using the Wrong Soap The wrong soap can be very drying to the skin. Some of the most popular brands of soap available over the counter (for example, Irish Spring, Dial and Lever 2000) use soap detergents to cleanse the skin. This might sound harmless, but these soaps strip skin of not only dirt but also the natural moisturizing factors that keep the skin barrier intact and keep the skin hydrated.
The Fix Look for soaps that contain moisturizing agents, such as ceramides. Ceramides are a naturally occurring cholesterol-derived component to our skin that is devoid when skin is dry or eczema-prone. A great face and body wash that Dr. Palm recommends is our Art of Skin MD Antioxidant Soothing Wash.
First, Art of Skin MD continues to be trailblazing when it comes to cosmetic trends for Spring and getting glowing skin. This month, I am featured as an expert that spills the secrets on getting glowing skin. In the April issue of Harper's Bazaar on newsstands now, you can get my dermatology secrets to amazing skin with topical skin care products.
In this two page feature, I divulge some of my favorite secrets to glowing skin for summer.
Continue reading →
Thanksgiving is almost upon us and that means everything holiday including everything PUMPKIN!!! Pumpkin lattes, candles, and pies scent the air, so why not enjoy this yummy scent with a fabulous facial peel ripe for the fall season? Read on to understand the benefits of our new pumpkin peel...
Continue reading →
Sunny days in San Diego, California mean ample exposure with the sun. Unfortunately, prolonged exposure, or lack of good sunscreens, can cause a nasty sunburn. When you get a sunburn, your skin turns red and hurts. If the burn is severe, you can develop swelling and sunburn You may even feel like you have the flu -- feverish, with chills, nausea, headache, and weakness. A few days later, your skin will start peeling and itching as your body tries to rid itself of sun-damaged cells.
If the unfortunate occurs, and you do experience a sunburn, what can one do to create sunburn relief?
Continue reading →
I was recently on San Diego CW6 in the Morning discussing and dispelling Skin Care myths. There are many things that we do on a routine basis that are not good for our skin, and in some cases detrimental.
Click below to see our feature TV segment. A detailed discussion follows below. Treat your skin with TLC!
Continue reading →
Opening day is this week and Art of Skin MD wants to give you tips to keep your skin safe where the surf meets the turf! The forecast calls for lots of sunshine and warm weather, which means sun safety is even more important amongst the dazzle of sundresses and fascinators.
Here are the Dr. Melanie Palm top tips for keeping it cool during Race Season:
1. Slather on Sunscreen.New FDA guidelines were released this year regarding best practices and proper labeling and usage of sunscreens. Sunscreens should be broad spectrum, meaning they cover both UVA and UVB rays. UVB rays cause the redness associated with sunburn, and UVA causes aging changes to the skin like sun spots, skin texture changes, and loss of collagen - not exactly the fashion statement to make on Opening Day. Zinc oxide and titanium dioxide sunscreens are great as they act as physical blockers of the sun and offer broad spectrum protection. Art of Skin MD offers a variety to choose from including the Elta MD line, Revision, Neocutis Journee, and the Art of Skin MD line.
2. Be unforgettable with Sunforgettable by Colorescience. Got limited space in your purse or pockets to carry sun protection? No problem. We have a solution that fights shine and protects skin. The Sunforgettable brush by Colorescience is an award-winning formulation endorsed by the Skin Cancer Foundation. This brush delivers zinc-based sunscreen powder as a sheer film that works on skin that already has sunscreen or makeup applied. It is great for the stands, Turf club, and even beyond.
An elegant and compact brush system, Sunforgettable packs a powerful punch against harmful UV rays
3. Prep with a pill. Heliocare, a popular supplement, classified as one of the newer popular "sunscreen pills" can be a potent and helpful supplement to good photoprotection. Although not a substitute for good sunscreen habits, popping Heliocare prior to an afternoon of fun in the sun can work synergistically with sunscreen to increase your threshold of protection against UVA exposure. Heliocare contains several agents to help against unwanted UV rays and is great for patients battling pigmentation such as melasma, or those with sensitivity to the sun. Heliocare is a combination of potent antioxidants including the an extract of the fern plant Polypodium leucotomos, beta carotene, and green tea. Taking Heliocare 1-2 hours before sun exposure can help to boost the effects of sunscreen.
Heliocare supplement is consists of a combination of potent antioxidants including the polypodium leucotomos fern plant, beta carotene, and green tea
4. Seek shade. A broad-brimmed derby hat is a great way to provide shade protection to your face. The San Diego hat company makes UPF hats perfect for Opening Day. Many styles are available at our local Beachwalk retail boutique Safarlou. Escape to the Turf Club or the shady portions of the general admission stands to protect that glowing skin from the sun. Check out the chic, stylish chapeaux offered by Safarlou in the YouTube video from the TV segment featuring Art of Skin MD below:
5. Repair from the day of fun near the sun. Feeling the burn from your fun in the sun? Repair your skin using growth factors from the Neocutis line. Neocutis' PSP exclusive human growth factor technology is featured in the Art of Skin MD favorite eye cream Lumiere Riche. The Biocream and Biogel by Neocutis both contain the human growth factor to repair collagen and get your skin back on track.
Neocutis line of skin products harnesses the collagen-repairing properties of growth factors
6. Red alert: Red light for sunburn. Made the unfortunate mistake of getting a sunburn at a day at the Races? Have no fear, Art of Skin MD offers the Healite II, an innovative red diode light that decreases the inflammation and redness associated with sunburn. Best of all, treatment is affordable and sometimes billable to insurance in the treatment of sunburn. See the clip below to understand how Healite works as I explain on the recent CW6 TV segment:
Have a great time at the Races this year. Be sun safe, and when in doubt about how best to protect your skin during the summer months in San Diego, contact Art of Skin MD through the Art of Skin MD contact page or by calling our qualified staff at (858) 792-7546.
Art of Skin MD and our Aesthetician Services is proud to announce the arrival of DermaSweep. DermaSweep is a closed-system microdermabrasion and skin infusion device. In two steps, if first clears away dull, dead skin cells and secondly, adds back specifically chosen infusions to the skin to hydrate, and treat the skin.
DermaSweep is different from other microdermabrasion systems. It does not use particles such as crystals. As a result of the vacuum assist technology, upper layers of the skin are safely and painlessly removed, leaving glowing, fresh, and smooth skin in its place. This is considered the "dry" portion of the DermaSweep treatment.
The second phase of DermaSweep treatment is the "wet" or "epi-infusion" treatment. During this portion of DermaSweep, a specially selected infusion treatment (anti-acne, hydrating, anti-aging, antioxidant) is used to hydrate the skin, leaving the appearance silky smooth and skin glowing.
A short video of the procedure from the Art of Skin MD YouTube station is featured below and narrated by Dr. Melanie Palm:
DermaSweep is highly effective as a complementary treatment for the following conditions:
*Fine lines from early aging
*Sun-damaged or photodamaged skin
*Hyperpigmenation and melasma
DermaSweep is an excellent complement to most facials provided through our Aesthetician Services. DermaSweep works well in conjunction with laser treatment and photofacials. Rosacea and sun damage treated with IPL can also be joined with a series of DermaSweep for total skin rejuvenation. Pigment-targeting DermaSweep infusions can complement melasma treatments such as the Spectra laser. Hydrating infusions from DermaSweep can follow skin treated by photodynamic therapy (for precancerous skin lesion treatment) or fractionated laser skin resurfacing.
Contact the staff at Art of Skin MD or call (858) 792-SKIN (7546) to find out more about DermaSweep and incorporating this innovative procedure into your skin care regimen.
The recent record-breaking cold weather that San Diego has been experiencing this Fall and Winter has led to a slew of skin-related rashes and conditions through our dermatology doors. Here Dr. Palm shares some tips on how to identify if you are vulnerable to dry skin and eczema, and how to best safeguard your skin against harsh weather elements.
Here are some tell-tale signs that your skin is deprived of much needed moisture. This leaves hands dry and even predisposed to irritating skin conditions like eczema (aka atopic dermatitis). Affected skin often has the following symptoms:
Red itchy patches (eczema)
People predisposed to dry skin often have a condition called "ichthyosis vulgaris." Patients with this condition often have dry patches on the shins that resemble fish scales, which is how the condition derives its name (ichthy= fish-like). An easy way to screen yourself is check the palms of your hands. Patients with ichthyosis vulgaris have many more skin markings and stripes on their palms than those that are unaffected.
Tips for winter-proofing skin:
Moisturize often using specialized products.
Ceramide containing products such Cerave and Cetaphil Restoraderm are especially helpful. Ceramides are cholesterol-derived fats that normally moisturize our skin but are in short supply when skin is irritated and dry.
Moisturize after hand washing
Consider use of white cotton gloves at night after moisturizing in severe cases
Temper the temperature of your shower
Use more tepid water and moisturize after your shower or bath to seal in moisture
Colloidal oatmeal added to bath water sooths dry irritated skin (Aveeno is a great brand)
Use of heaters decrease air humidity. Consider a humidifier or add plants which diffuse water into the air
Flowers and plants help combat low humidity levels indoors
Consider decreasing frequency of topical acne or anti-aging regimens if irritation occurs
Consult with professional expertise if condition worsens. Call the staff of Art of Skin MD to schedule an appointment with Dr. Melanie Palm.
Holiday season heralds a flurry of parties, imbibing, decadent food, and cooler whether that can wreak havoc on the skin. As Dr. Palm explains this morning on CW6 San Diego, there are both office-based procedures and at-home tips that can keep your skin glowing and dewy well through the New Year.
Dr. Palm prepping the patient and the Spectra laser for the CW6 San Diego segment this morning.
Click on the photo to see the whole broadcast on Dr. Palm, representing Art of Skin MD with the revolutionary Lutronic Spectra laser:
Decreased temps and humidity levels with fall and winter months can lead to telltale signs of skin irritation including dryness, cracking, and even eczema. Hands, arms, and the face are common affected areas and the skin may appear to lack luster and feel tight.
Here are some great tips for beautifying the skin during the holiday season:
Getting that winter glow:1. Office-based procedures can also improve the skin’s appearance. Laser toning using the Lutronic Spectra laser is FDA-approved for the treatment of skin pigmentation such as melasma as well as for skin texture improvement including acne scarring. Patients have remarked to me that they notice a glow to their skin as well as pore size minimization following a series of treatment.
2. Keep moving and stay hydrated
Cardiovascular activity boosts circulation to the skin ensuring nutrients are delivered and toxins removed. This is especially essential after holiday festivities involving alcoholic beverages.3. Calm redness.
Products such as Avene water and anti-Rougeur cleanser and moisturizer calm dilated blood vessels. Products containing green tea can have the same effect.
4. Tighten up.
Microcurrent device NuFace provides a visible lift to facial skin for up to 72 hours and is a perfect boost pre-holiday party. NuFace is FDA cleared for at home use in the reduction of fine lines and wrinkles by stimulating and toning facial muscle
In-office procedures can produce more dramatic results over time. This includes the no-downtime, nonsurgical facelift using Ultherapy, the only FDA-approved device for skin tightening of the lower face, neck, and brows
5. Get Lit!
Winter is a good time to consider no downtime procedures from your dermatologist. We are often least tan during this time and it is ideal for no-downtime rejuvenating treatments including IPL. This broad-band light based treatment takes about 15 minutes to perform and works on brown sun spots and broken blood vessels. The hands, face, neck and chest yield phenomenal results.
6. Eliminate lusterless skin by removing excess dead skin cells.
Mild exfoliation with products like alpha hydroxyacids (glycolic and lactic acid) or Sakura silk lift dead skin cells to improve glow. TheClarisonic Brush uses sonicating energy with more than 300 movements per second removes 6x makeup and 2x dirt of regular washing. Use for 60 seconds. Great for sensitive and acne prone skin.
Got questions? Call the highly qualified staff at Art of Skin MD at (858) 792-SKIN (7546) or contact us through the Art of Skin MD webpage.
Come one, come all for a spectacular day of indulgence at Art of Skin MD from 11 am to 7pm on Friday, November 30th 2012. Our doors will be opened for exclusive holiday savings of 15% on all our skin care lines and products. In addition, clients who spend $100 or more are eligible to receive a $9/unit Botox voucher for future use at Art of Skin MD. What could be a better follow-up to Black Friday in San Diego?
Call Art of Skin MD at 858.792.SKIN (7546) to reserve your spot today and to learn more about the full spectrum of cosmetic, medical, and aesthetician services available from Dr. Palm and the staff of Art of Skin MD!
The Art of Skin MD event promises to be a festive San Diego celebration. Combining a unique opportunity to save on our product and retail lines while enjoying the culture and food of Solana Beach. Refreshments from Cupcake Love and Woody's are sure to be crowd pleasers. Complimentary chair massages will be available in the afternoon from 4-7 pm.
Latisse specials will be available at the event. Inquire to find out more about specials of the day at Art of Skin MD.
Experience skin care at its best with our special retail event. Experience the instantaneous skin lifting effects of microcurrent technology by NuFace--the only FDA-approved device for visible skin lifting effects. It is a perfect gift for at-home use and for those prepping for all of those holiday parties and photo-ops.
Clarisonic Pro is now available at Art of Skin MD and will be on sale with our exclusive retail event. This professional line sold exclusively in physician offices is not available at retail outlets such as Sephora or department stores. The oscillating power of the Clarisonic Pro is unparalleled. Get the pro-facial spa treatment at home with this device. It is gentler yet more effective then traditional microdermabrasion and is great for acne-prone and sensitive skin types. Any topical cleanser can be used with treatment.
Our professional line of skin care is unparalleled. Speak with skin care specialists and company representatives about the anti-aging benefits of lines from Neocutis, Revision, Elta MD, Glytone, and Avene. Experience the newest in skin brightening and brown spot eliminating technology from the Avene Blanche product to the novel botanical abilities of Elure illuminating lotion. ColorScience is a Skin Cancer Foundation-endorsed line of mineral based and sun protective makeup. The Sunforgettable brushes even offer a shimmer perfect for regaining that summer glow in the dead of winter. Dr. Palm loves this line post-procedure for camouflaging laser or injectable procedures.
Contact the Staff of Art of Skin MD or to find out more or call (858) 792-SKIN (7546) to confirm your reservation for this event!