Advanced Treatment Options for Rosacea in the San Diego Area
Dr. Melanie Palm is a nationally recognized dermatologist and an expert in the treatment of cosmetic and medical skin conditions. Dr. Palm is a noted leader in her field and has served on Advisory Boards and Physician Speaker Bureaus related to rosacea medications. She offers many effective options for the treatment of rosacea. Her offices are located in Solana Beach, CA just north of San Diego.
What is Rosacea?
Rosacea is a common skin condition primarily affecting the face. It is characterized by facial flushing and can be worsened by triggers such as exercise, extreme temperatures, and emotional stress. There are four subtypes of rosacea:
- Erythematotelangiectatic rosacea - redness, flushing, and/or visible broken blood vessels
- Papulopustular rosacea - redness, swelling, and acne-like bumps that can sometimes contain pus
- Phymatous rosacea - thickening of the skin and excessive growth of oil glands
- Ocular rosacea - redness and irritation of the eyes and swelling of the eyelids
Treatment of rosacea is necessary to avoid permanent redness of the central face over time.
What Causes Rosacea?
The cause of rosacea is unknown but blood vessel changes, underlying skin inflammation, skin mites (Demodex), and even iron metabolism may contribute to the condition. Genetics may play a role as well since individuals of Northern European ancestry are more likely to develop the condition.
Other possible triggers of rosacea include:
- Temperature extremes
- Sunlight or wind exposure
- Heavy alcohol consumption
- Hot / spicy food or beverages
- Emotional stress
- Medications that dilate the blood vessels, such as some blood pressure medications
- Anyone can develop rosacea, but it is more common in middle aged women with fair skin. Rosacea is not contagious.
What is Dr. Palm’s Expertise in Treating Rosacea?
Dr. Palm has served as a Physician Lecturer and Advisory Board Member for several medications used in the control of rosacea including Oracea, Soolantra, Mirvaso, and Rhofade. Dr. Palm uses her unique training as both a board-certified dermatologist and cosmetic surgeon to offer a variety of treatment options for rosacea patients.
What are the Treatment Options for Rosacea? Can it be Cured?
There is currently no known cure for rosacea but there are several effective treatment options depending on the severity of the condition. Sunblock, topical prescription medications, oral doxycycline, laser treatment, and Intense Pulsed Light treatment all may help control rosacea. Avoidance of aggravating factors is also important to avoid flares.
If you suffer from rosacea and are in or near the San Diego area, Dr. Melanie Palm can help. Call 858.792.SKIN (7546) to schedule your appointment and discuss your treatment options.